Engage your upper elementary students with a little mystery during their math hour with these comparing and ordering fractions mystery cards. Students work through a set of cards answering questions. Each answer brings them one step closer to solving the mystery.
What Concepts & Skills are Covered?
- Comparing fractions
- Ordering fractions
- CCSS 4.NF.2
- Comparison statements such as “Which fraction comparison below is wrong?” or “Find the fraction that has a greater value than …”
- Some equivalence fractions such as “Find the missing value to make the fractions equivalent”
- Critical thinking skills
- Problem solving skills
- Logical reasoning skills
- 27 mystery problem cards for practice and reinforcement
- Color and b/w versions
- Mystery clue sheet & recording sheet
- Some questions have visual representations
- Answer key
Why Grab This Resource?
- The mystery solving element transforms the math practice into an exciting challenge, captivating students’ attention and motivating them to participate actively
- It invokes critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ready made materials and adaptability helps make planning easier and save time while doing it.
This engaging fractions activity is not only easily adaptable and helps save time for upper elementary teachers like you with lesson planning, but it’s also a motivating tool to practice and reinforce those all important comparing and ordering fractions concepts, build problem solving skills, & support student learning in an interactive way! Try it today and start building a love for math!